Wednesday, October 28, 2009

NaNoWriMo, Say What?

I apologize for my long absence of posting. I don't want to make any excuses but I was taking refuge on a remote private island due to a zombie epidemic. Now that the epidemic has been handled I am now back and with internet. Let's get down to business.

The month of November is quickly approaching. November is a month that my little sister has looked forward to for the past 3 years. Not because it's the month of her birthday. Not because she is fanatic about eating copious amounts of food. Because the month of November has become synonymous with NaNoWriMo. I know what you're thinking. The first time I heard the "word" NaNoWriMo come out of my sister's mouth my thoughts were "What the french are you saying?" After inquiring I learned that it stands for National Novel Writing Month. The basic idea is that for a whole month you write like crazy to create a novel of at least 50,000 words. It's suppose to be an idea that you have never worked on before the 1st of November.

This year, for some reason, I have decided to partake. You may think I'm crazy and I do too. For the past two years I have watched, well not exactly watch because she locks herself in her room, my sister torture herself to crank out a novel in just 30 DAYS! But the fact that it is just 30 days to write 175 pages, they tell you it doesn't matter what you write. Quantity not quality. They also tell you to not edit at all! This is an aspect that is going to drive me insane!
There is also another problem with me doing this. I haven't done any creative writing since I started college. My creative thinking part of my brain is definitely rusty.

You may be asking yourself, "What could you possibly write a novel on?" That is an easy question to answer. Mustaches and Time Traveling. The plot line is basically this; A women is unlucky in love. She just can't find a guy with a sweet 'stache to love. Enters, Victorian English gentleman who accidentally time travels modern day. Naturally, he joins an online dating service. Man and woman find each other, fall in love. But wait, they can't go riding into the sunset just yet. The Englishman comes down with a disease that attacks his facial hair follicles enabling him to sustain his mustache. The woman is faced with the dilemma; continue to love him despite his stachelessness or part ways for good.

If typing for a month sounds fun to you go to the official NaNoWriMO website, link above, for full details and sign up. It would be awesome for anyone who reads this blog, most likely just my family, to join me. We could create a solid support system. My predictions is I won't last a week but my sister can keep me on it, hopefully. To quote a super lame movie, "Walk till your feet bleed and then keep walking." but in this case it's typing.

1 comment:

duh said...

I'm a little late on reading this...how did your novel go? It sounds amazing. I'd read it in a heartbeat!